Support for LAist comes from
True LA stories, powered by you
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Long Beach Halts Grand Prix

5e6abf52b555c5000abe39b6-eight.jpg
A shot from the 1990 Grand Prix on the streets of Long Beach (Ken Levine/Allsport/Getty Image)
LAist relies on reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Under orders from city officials, organizers of the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach on Thursday canceled the 46th edition of the street race amid the growing fears of the Coronavirus.

Just earlier this week, Grand Prix Chief Executive Officer Jim Michaelian said he expected the event to take place with heightened precautions for spectators. But city health officials opted to expand on a state mandate to cancel or postpone events with 250 or more people.

The city order applies to large-scale events including conventions, festivals, parades and sporting events.

Mayor Robert Garcia said in a statement:

Support for LAist comes from
“We recognize that this decision affects tens of thousands of residents and visitors, and for some will create immense financial hardship. But our top priority must be the health and well-being of our community and this is absolutely the right thing to do.”

The Grand Prix was expected to draw roughly 185,000 people to Downtown on April 17-19.

READ MORE FROM OUR FRIENDS AT THE LONG BEACH POST:

MORE ON CORONAVIRUS: