Sponsored message

Celebrate California Public Radio Day!

Support LAist to keep trusted local news strong and help unlock a $20k challenge.
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

'Run, Run As Fast As You Can': At Least 59 Dead, 527 Injured In Las Vegas Mass Shooting [Updated]

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

[Update: 3:28 p.m.]

The death toll has now climbed to 59, and the count of injuries now stands at 527, reports the New York Times.

The Times also reports that a search of Stephen Paddock's hotel room at the Mandalay Bay uncovered at least 20 rifles, according to authorities. Among the weapons found were AR-15-style assault rifles.

According to a Fox 11 reporter, a search of Paddock's home in Mesquite, Nevada uncovered explosives, 18 firearms, and thousands of rounds of ammo.

Fox 11 also reports that a vigil is planned to take place outside Las Vegas city hall at 5 p.m. on Monday:

[7:40 a.m.]

Sponsored message

Authorities say that at least 50 people were killed and 200 injured in a mass shooting at a country music festival on the Las Vegas strip. The shooter had been aiming at the concertgoers from the 32nd floor of his room at the Mandalay Bay hotel, firing bullets from an automatic weapon.

"We heard a couple of pops, then it stopped. Then all of a sudden it started going again, and people started dropping," concertgoer Corinne Lomas told the Las Vegas Sun.

The incident is now the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. The gunman, identified as Stephen Paddock, 64, died after the police stormed the room. He reportedly shot himself. Police found a cache of weapons in his room.

Country singer Jason Aldean was performing at the Route 91 Harvest fest when the sound of gunfire started just after 10 p.m. PST. Video shows Aldean fleeing the stage:

Insane.... this JUST happened. #PrayForVegas pic.twitter.com/RWgjFW7BHy

— Luke Broadlick (@LukeBroadlick) October 2, 2017

Some attendees described it sounding like fireworks at first. "I thought it was fireworks going off and maybe it mistriggered, and then it happened again. And when it happened the third time, we knew something was wrong," recalled SiriusXM country radio host Storme Warren.

Videos depict the panicked crowd and the steady gunfire. According to the NY Times, the footage indicated "nine seconds of rapid-fire, continuous bursts, followed by 37 seconds of silence from the weapon amid panicked screaming. The barrage of gunfire then erupted again in at least two more rounds, both shorter than the first."

Sponsored message

Festival goers fled the concert grounds, looking for cover. "Everybody's hiding everywhere, they're hiding under the bleachers and the stanchions, anywhere they could and everyone is telling us to 'run, run as fast as you can,'" one attendee told KLAS. "And my husband and I ran out toward our car, and there were people hiding underneath my car for cover and there was a gentleman who was shot and he said, 'Can you help me?' And so I put him in my car and I had like six people in my car, people without shoes, running, just to get away."

Robyn Webb told the Las Vegas Review-Journal the bullets "just kept coming. It was relentless." She and her husband managed to flee, but when they saw around 20 bloody victims, Matt Webb said, "That’s when we knew for sure it was real."

The suspect, Paddock, lived 80 miles from Las Vegas in Mesquite, Nevada, and NBC News reports that he "had been known to local law enforcement." (ISIS claimed to be responsible for the shooting but did not provide evidence.)

Sponsored message

His brother, Eric Paddock, expressed shock, "Mars just fell into the earth. We’re completely dumbfounded." He told NBC News that "his brother was retired and was 'just a guy' who went to the hotels, gambled, and went to shows."

Two windows broken in the 32nd floor where the Las Vegas shooter #StephenPaddock was located #PrayForVegas pic.twitter.com/8CyDSAH33q

— Rose 🌹Taylor (@RealRoseTaylor) October 2, 2017

A woman, Marilou Danley, who is believed to be either a companion or roommate of Paddock's, was initially sought as a person of interest, but now authorities say she is no longer wanted for questioning. Danley is reportedly out of the country.

Aldean shared a photograph on Instagram, writing, "Tonight has been beyond horrific. I still don't know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that Me and my Crew are safe. My Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night. #heartbroken #stopthehate"


Update [9:15 a.m.]: At least 58 people are now confirmed dead and the number of injured is estimated to be at least 515 people, according to Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo's briefing on Monday morning.

Sponsored message
One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today