Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Ethnic studies projected costs pegged at $73 million for LAUSD

More than 90 languages are spoken in district schools, including Spanish, Korean, Armenian and Cantonese. L.A. Unified hopes to increase cultural awareness by requiring an ethnic studies course to graduate.
More than 90 languages are spoken in Los Angeles Unified's schools, including Spanish, Korean, Armenian and Cantonese. Projected costs for ethnic studies classes that students would be required to take to graduate have reached $73 million.
(
Mae Ryan/KPCC
)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Listen 0:57
Ethnic studies projected costs pegged at $73 million for LAUSD

The Los Angeles Unified School District is looking at a bill of $73 million to cover course development, textbooks and teacher training in ethnic studies, a new high school graduation requirement approved last year.

LAUSD's school board ushered in the mandatory coursework in November, believing the rollout would cost an estimated $4 million.  

Officials later clarified that the original figure was the cost to pull together a pilot program of 30 schools. A draft report from an advisory Ethnic Studies Committee released this week concludes that sum wouldn't even cover textbooks for the trial run. 

A major portion of the latest $73 million estimate is needed for teaching staff.

“We figured we are going to have to add at least one teacher per school site, and that’s an ongoing cost," said Angel Barrett, the district's executive director of curriculum and instruction and among the committee's members.

The committee, which includes administrators, teachers and scholars, recommended postponing the ethnic studies requirement so that it takes effect for the Class of 2022 rather than the Class of 2019. The delay would give high schools three more years to train and recruit the 250 teachers needed to implement the new requirement.

The ethnic studies report, released Thursday, comes out as the school board takes up a looming problem with the college preparation graduation requirements known as A-G coursework. Starting with the Class of 2017, students must pass the slate of college prep courses that are required to qualify for entry into the University of California and Cal State University systems.

Sponsored message

The district estimates about 45 percent of sophomores are still not on track to meet the A-G mandate.

The A-G requirement is criticized by some who say it will hold back students who otherwise would meet the state's graduation qualifications. The ethnic studies requirement got the green light before the latest district estimate that many students may fail to graduate on time.

Ethnic studies explores race and racism as "powerful social and cultural forces," according to a University of California at Berkeley definition adopted by LAUSD. Students can meet the graduation requirement by taking African-American history, Mexican American literature or similar classes.

"We think this builds a young person's sense of self and empathy in others," said Manuel Criollo with Community Rights Campaign who advocated for the new course requirement at the school board's November meeting.

EL Rancho Unified in Pico Rivera was the first district in the state to require students to take classes in ethnic studies, catching the attention of ethnic studies advocates and school administrators around California.

San Francisco Unified pledged to offer ethnic studies at every high school less than a month after LAUSD required it for graduation.

Tamar Galatzan was the only LAUSD board member to oppose the ethnic studies requirement, voicing concerns at the November meeting about its financial impact and whether the added requirement would pack students' schedules too tightly.

Sponsored message

“I believe we should work these issues out first," Galatzan said last fall. Galatzan lost her bid for re-election in Tuesday's runoff.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today