Sponsor
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
KPCC Archive

UPDATE: Newport Beach mayor says 17-year-old driver could have been going more than 100 MPH

A makeshift memorial at the site where five teenagers were killed in a solo car wreck on Jamboree Road in Newport Beach.
A makeshift memorial at the site where five teenagers were killed in a solo car wreck on Jamboree Road in Newport Beach.
(
Ed Joyce/KPCC
)

With our free press under threat and federal funding for public media gone, your support matters more than ever. Help keep the LAist newsroom strong, become a monthly member or increase your support today.

Listen 1:34
UPDATE: Newport Beach mayor says 17-year-old driver could have been going more than 100 MPH

Update 5/30 | 3:oo p.m: Mayor: Car was likely going over 100 MPH

Newport Beach police are still investigating a horrific car crash that killed five teenagers on their way to the beach on Monday.

They've already identified speeding as a key factor.

Newport Beach mayor Keith Curry says he's heard the car could have been going almost twice the legal speed limit, which was 55 miles per hour.

Sponsor

"The police are still investigating the skid marks and the technical information there, so there's yet to be a final determination," Curry said.  "But I'm told it's likely to be in excess of 100 miles per hour." 

A spokeswoman for the police department says any reports about specific speeds are "anecdotal" at this point.

The 17-year-old driver of the car was unlicensed. 

Update 5/29 | 6:08 pm. : Driver didn't have license

The 17-year-old at the wheel during a horrific crash that killed him and four other teenagers Monday in Newport Beach was driving without a license.

It was a wreck so devastating that at first investigators thought two cars had been involved. The gray Infiniti G35 hit a tree in the center median at a speed that split the car in half. It landed in separate pieces on the road.

The driver, Abdulrahman Alyahyan, did not have a California license, according to DMV spokesman Artemio Armenta.

Sponsor

“The driver was not a California licensed driver,” Armenta said.  “He also didn’t have a learner’s permit.”

Alyahyan visited the DMV twice – most recently in February – and both times was rejected for a learner's permit, the spokesman said.

Alyahyan came from Saudi Arabia four years ago, and was not able to prove he was in the U.S. legally.

His application was pending. But even if it had been approved, he would not have been able to have other teenagers in the car because he was a minor.

“They’re not allowed to transport other passengers under the age of 20 unless they have a parent or guardian,” Armenta said. “That applies to all drivers during the first 12 months that they obtain their provisional license.”

Four of the five teenagers in the Infiniti attended Irvine High School. Classes resumed today for the first time since the crash. Two dozen grief counselors were brought in to help students.

“To go through the loss of the student in a school year is probably the most heartbreaking experience a school can go through,” said Irvine Unified School District spokesman Ian Hanigan. “To lose five students – four from the same high school – is just devastating.”

Sponsor

The Newport Beach police department is still investigating the crash. Investigators have already determined speeding was a key factor.

At LAist, we believe in journalism without censorship and the right of a free press to speak truth to those in power. Our hard-hitting watchdog reporting on local government, climate, and the ongoing housing and homelessness crisis is trustworthy, independent and freely accessible to everyone thanks to the support of readers like you.

But the game has changed: Congress voted to eliminate funding for public media across the country. Here at LAist that means a loss of $1.7 million in our budget every year. We want to assure you that despite growing threats to free press and free speech, LAist will remain a voice you know and trust. Speaking frankly, the amount of reader support we receive will help determine how strong of a newsroom we are going forward to cover the important news in our community.

We’re asking you to stand up for independent reporting that will not be silenced. With more individuals like you supporting this public service, we can continue to provide essential coverage for Southern Californians that you can’t find anywhere else. Become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission.

Thank you for your generous support and belief in the value of independent news.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Chip in now to fund your local journalism

A row of graphics payment types: Visa, MasterCard, Apple Pay and PayPal, and  below a lock with Secure Payment text to the right