Here Are Your Fourth Of July Weekend DUI Checkpoints
Los Angeles is gearing up for the Fourth of July weekend starting Friday night. And while pool parties, parades, and plenty of barbecue-ing are in store, it's also important to note that drivers should be extra cautious on the roads. As the National Highway Traffic Safety Association notes, 49% of drivers aged 18 to 34 killed during the 2015 Fourth of July weekend were driving with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher (which is over the legal limit). Suffice it to say, do not drink and drive. Ever. And with ride-sharing options now available, leaving your car at home is even easier.
For their part, the LAPD will be out in force this holiday weekend in high visibility areas. Furthermore, LAPD has released a partial list of their DUI Checkpoints and DUI Saturation Patrols for the media to publicize in an attempt to discourage drunk driving.
Here is a partial list of this weekend's planned patrols and checkpoints:
Thursday, June 29, 2017
- DUI Saturation Patrol in Olympic Area from 5 P.M. to 1 A.M
Friday, June 30, 2017
- DUI Saturation Patrol in Southeast Area from 5 P.M. to 1 A.M
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint from 8 P.M. to 1 A.M. on N Figueroa Street at York Boulevard in Highland Park
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint from 8 P.M. to 1 A.M. on La Brea Avenue at Willoughby Avenue in Midcity
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint from 8 P.M. to 1 A.M. on Sunset Boulevard at Coronado Street in Silver Lake
Saturday, July 1, 2017
- DUI Saturation Patrol in Central Bureau from 6 P.M. to 2 A.M
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint from 7 P.M. to 12 A.M. on Manchester Avenue at Hoover Street in South Los Angeles
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint from 8 P.M. to 1 A.M. on Victory Boulevard at Bellaire Avenue in Valley Glen
- DUI/Driver License Checkpoint from 8 P.M. to 1 A.M. on Cahuenga Boulevard at Broadlawn Drive in Studio City
Sunday, July 2, 2017
- DUI Saturation Patrol in 77th Street Area from 12 P.M. to 8 P.M
- DUI Saturation Patrol in Mission Area from 5 P.M. to 1 A.M
Monday, July 3, 2017
- DUI Saturation Patrol in 77th Street Area from 5 P.M. to 1 A.M
As LAPD Chief Charlie Beck told LAist a few years back, "People having foresight aren't the ones who are committing this crime. People who are thinking ahead aren't the ones that this checkpoint is likely to catch. I think that the publicity surrounding these things is so important that if you give a couple of locations, that's fine."
Furthermore, given the fear surrounding possible ICE checkpoints, we think it's helpful for readers to know what's what. Anyway, please don't drink and drive.