Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Historic Point Mugu Lifeguard Building Washed Away By Hurricane Marie

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A historic building used by the state lifeguards dating back to the 1950s finally saw its end in the heavy surf generated by Hurricane Marie.

The Cove House had stood at the shore of Point Mugu and was there for so long that it was dubbed "bulletproof." The building was used for decades as a training facility by both lifeguards and state park rangers. Because of its familiarity, many were sad to see it go. "It's a loss for the program from an emotional and administrative standpoint. Some people came and stood by, mournfully watching the structure go," California State Parks' Angeles District superintendent Craig Sap told the LA Times.

The heavy surf generated by Hurricane Marie has been a godsend for surfers, but it was too much for the Cove House. The 12-16 feet of sand that protected the pilings holding up the building were washed away by the surf and the direct hit they were taking made its demise an inevitability. "There's nothing we can do but wait," Sap told The Malibu Times before the collapse.

Officials were able to remove everything from the building and disconnect its power before the collapse, which finally occurred around 10 p.m. Wednesday night according to ABC 7.