This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Going BIG in LA
Everyone knows Los Angeles is the second largest City in the US, but here are some LA City Nerd facts you might not have known...
1. LA City has the largest urban forest of any City in the US.
2. LA City has the largest municipal street system in the country.
3. LA City has the largest municipal park in the country in Griffith Park.
4. 44% of people living in LA were born outside of the US.
5. The Port of LA is the busiest in the nation.
6. There are more freeway interchanges in LA (Boyle Heights) than any other community.
7. LA was once the wine producing capital and the cow capital of the US - but that was 2 centuries ago.
8. Los Angeles is the birthplace of California as a US state in the Campo de Cahuenga.
9. There are more Native Americans living in Los Angeles than anywhere else outside of the reservations. The same is true for a number of nationalities who find their population's largest concentration outside their native country to be in the City.
10. Los Angeles is older than our Nation's capital: Washington, D.C. (Take that, DCist!)
Photo by dailydose via Flickr