Man Accused Of Fatally Shooting Homeless Man On Venice Beach ID'd
Police have released the identity of the man accused of fatally shooting a 26-year-old homeless man on August 30 in Venice.
According to a release from the LAPD, the alleged gunman has actually been in custody since only hours after the shooting. Francisco Guzman was arrested on October 5 after being located in L.A. by the FBI-LAPD Fugitive Task Force. He has been charged with murder and his bail was set at $3 million.
Previously, police said that they had arrested Sris Sinnathamby, the 54-year-old owner of the Cadillac Hotel. Sinnathamby has also been charged with murder, and Deputy District Attorney Kristin Trutanic argued that Sinnathamby "aided, abetted and directed" the murder.
The shooting occurred on August 30 after 2 a.m. in front of the Cadillac Hotel in the 300 block of Ocean Front Walk near Rose Avenue. An argument over homeless people sleeping in front of the hotel escalated, and witnesses claim that Sinnathamby told another man to shoot the homeless—in particular, one witness alleged that Sinnathamby ordered the gunman to, "Kill that n—r." One man in his 40s was shot and survived, but 26-year-old Jascent Warren was pronounced dead at the scene. Guzman allegedly fled the scene in an SUV immediately following the shooting.
Friends of Warren said he was a musician who was kind, peaceful and helpful to other homeless people. His friends had nicknamed him "Shakespeare," because he was a writer. His friends also told the Times that although Warren was homeless, he held a job.
The investigation is ongoing, and anyone with information can contact West Bureau Homicide investigators at 213-382-9470.
Editor's Note: The LAPD initially stated that Guzman had been arrested on August 30.