Quick Report: Santa Monica's Food Truck Lot
Lunchtime crowds grew to about 500 people at today's debut of the Santa Monica Gourmet Food Truck Corner. Although some were disappointed with the four options--India Jones Chow Truck, Border Grill, Barbie's Q and Fishlips--organizers said this is only the beginning, as today was a soft opening. Here are some quick tid bits about the property:
- Steve Taub, who owns the property, has taken the property off the market and is committed to growing the food truck lot into destination for locals and travelers alike.
- Apparently, obtaining a Santa Monica city business license takes a long time, holding up some trucks from making an appearance today. Organizers expect seven to eight different trucks a day to rotate between lunch and dinner hours Monday through Saturday as things progress.
- Some future plans include WiFi, tables, bike racks and a dog area.
- Parking? Yes, there is a parking lot. Bathroom? There's one at the back of the building on the lot.
- The lot is organized by the SoCal Mobile Food Vendors Association.
Currently, all trucks except for Border Grill are on the property and are expected to stay through 8 p.m. tonight Find the lot at Santa Monica Blvd. and 14th. You can follow the lot at @SMFoodtrucklot.