This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Of 'World's 50 Best Restaurants' Zero are in Los Angeles
The French are apparently horrified that nary a one of their dining establishments ranked in the top ten of a list of the World's 50 Best Restaurants released this week by S. Pellegrino. But for us Californians, something "French" is pretty much all we've got, thanks to the inclusion of just one of our restaurants: Thomas Keller's French Laundry in Yountville (#32).Never mind that Keller has an outpost of Bouchon here in Beverly Hills, or the dozens of respected and beloved top-notch restaurants in Los Angeles. We pretty much got a cold hard diss (TK's Laundry not included) here in the Western US. Actually, the only two other US cities with restaurants representing the red, white, and blue hail from Chicago (Alinea, #7) and New York (Daniel, #8; Per Se, #10; Le Bernardin, #15; Momofuku Ssäm Bar, #26; wd~50, #45; and Eleven Madison Park, #50).
But before you start thinking, "Well Momo-Eff You, New York!" it's important to note that the U.S. actually happens to be the most honored country on the list. "The illustrious list is compiled by The World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy -- an 806-member panel of the globe's most venerated chefs, food critics, restaurateurs and gourmands," explains CNN. Their findings are expected to incur and encourage debate. Time will tell how the #1 ranking of Copenhagen's Noma will affect Danish tourism.
Full list after the jump.
1) Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)
2) El Bulli (Roses, Spain)
3) The Fat Duck (Bray, England)
4) El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
5) Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)
6) Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
7) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)
8) Daniel (New York)
9) Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)
10) Per Se (New York)
11) Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)
12) La Colombe (Cape Town, South Africa)
13) Pierre Gagnaire (Paris, France)
14) L'Hotel de Ville - Philippe Rochat (Crissier, Switzerland)
15) Le Bernardin (New York)
16) L'Astrance (Paris, France)
17) Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
18) D.O.M. (São Paolo, Brazil)
19) Oud Sluis (Sluis, Netherlands)
20) Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
21) Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
22) Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
23) Chef Dominique (Helsinki, Finland)
24) Les Créations de Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
25) Mathias Dahlgren (Stockholm, Sweden)
26) Momofuku Ssäm Bar (New York)
27) Quay Restaurant (Sydney, Australia)
28) Iggy's (Singapore)
29) L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (Paris, France)
30) Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
31) Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek, South Africa)
32) The French Laundry (Yountville, California)
33) Martin Berasategui (Lasarte-oria, Spain)
34) Aqua (Bath, England)
35) Combal Zero (Rivoli, Italy)
36) Dal Pescatore (Montava, Italy)
37) De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
38) Tetsuya's (Sydney, Australia)
39) Jaan Par Andre (Singapore)
40) Il Canto (Siena, Italy)
41) Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
42) Oaxen Krog (Oaxen, Sweden)
43) St. John (London, England)
44) La Maison Troisgros (Roanne, France)
45) wd~50 (New York)
46) Biko (Mexico City, Mexico)
47) Die Schwarzwaldstube (Baiersbronn, Germany)
48) Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)
49) Hibiscus (London, England)
50) Eleven Madison Park (New York)
How to get the best eggs in town without leaving your yard.
Beautiful views aren't the only thing drawing Angelenos to the region
Gab Chabrán reflects on growing up in L.A. in a Latino home that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving and the traditions they formed instead.
Oklahoma-style smash burgers and Georgian dumplings make for some excellent cheap bites in Glendale
Husband and wife Felix Agyei and Hazel Rojas combine food from their heritages, creating a marriage of West African and Filipino cooking
Baby Yoda cocktails. Boozy Dole Whips. Volcanic tiki drinks. If you can dream it, they're probably mixing it somewhere on property.