Top 20 Favorite Bites of 2009
Kaya Toast at Susan Feniger's Street (and later at Jitlada by special request Thanks Jonathan Gold and Sinosoul)
Yes, I am saying bites rather than meals, because most of the fantastic food I have eaten this year has been at foodie events. A few may be sips, not bites, but hey--who's making the rules?
Speaking of rules you may wonder what my criteria was. Essentially, if I remembered something without having to think very hard and if I wished I could eat it right now it went on the list. And while some things I ate in 2009 were interesting, like antelope from Saddlepeak Lodge and Jitlada's Fermented Catfish, I don't necessarily want to make a meal out of them right now.
It was hard not to put numerous bites from the same place on this list. How can you choose between Rivera's Tortilla Florales and Tequila Mujer? Or Bouchon's Mac and Cheese and their Pesto BLT bite? And choosing between RH's Duck Confit, Beef Cheeks and Perigord Egg dish was tough (I know, the suspense is killing you)--but I managed. Of course, almost everything Sherry Yard and Susan Feniger make could go on this list...but that's another story. The bites are in no particular order, although Feniger's Kaya Toast at Street was probably my favorite bite. Now, on with the show...
1. Kaya Toast at Susan Feniger's Street
3. Ceviche on a Plantain Chip from Smith Brothers Restaurants
4. Scallop on the half shell from East
5. Corn and Pasilla Custard at the San Antonio Winery
6. Masala Fries from the Dosa Truck
7. Mac and Cheese at Bouchon
9. Filet Mignon with Foie Grasat Le Saint-Raphael in Redondo Beach
10. Minestrone Soup at Campanile
11. Torta de Lengua from The Fig
12. Tuna carpaccio with wasabi soy truffle oil and Parmesan Cheese from Katana
13. Lavendar Shortbread from Craft
14. Tequila Mujer from Rivera
15. Chocolate Cookies from Sherry Yard
16. Sweet Potato Fries at Rush Street
17. Clam Fritters from Province
18. Prosciutto Sandwich at Giuliano's in Torrance
19. Bacon-wrapped Figs from Cafe W as
20. Passionfruit Marshmallows from Bazaar