Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

One Officer Justified, One Not In Ezell Ford Shooting, LAPD Commission Finds

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

The Los Angeles Police Commission decided today that one LAPD officer was justified when he opened fire on Ezell Ford, but that the other violated department policy. Ezell Ford, a 25-year-old, unarmed black man with a history of mental illness, was fatally shot three times during a confrontation with two LAPD officers on August 11 in South L.A.

Previously, Police Chief Charlie Beck said that both officers were justified in the shooting because Ford had lunged at one of the officers and reached for his gun when the officers approached him. Today, the Police Commission came to a different conclusion. After meeting behind closed doors for over three hours, they have concluded that one officer was justified in shooting Ford, but that other violated department policy, according to City News Service. The Commission also held both officers at fault for drawing their guns at different times during the incident, the L.A. Times reports.

The officers were previously identified as Sharlton Wampler and Antonio Villegas, though the Commission did not specify which was found to be in the wrong. Now, Police Chief Charlie Beck will determine what punishment is appropriate for that officer. It will be up to the L.A. County District Attorney's Office to determine if criminal charges will be filed, KTLA reports.

Prior to the decision, the Commission heard from community members and activists including Ford's mother, Tritobia Ford. "I'm begging you, please, please. My son would never grab for no gun. He wanted to live. That's all he wanted to do was live. He walked. He walked the streets. I didn't want him to walk the streets around there because I know it was unsafe. That was his right. And he didn't deserve to die for it. And that's all I have to say. Please, please, I have faith in you yet," she said.

Demonstrators assembled Sunday and yesterday outside of Mayor Eric Garcetti's home in Hancock Park, protesting Ford's shooting. Garcetti is expected to make a statement about the decision today at 5:30 p.m.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today