Extra, Extra: Welcome to '08, LA
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Best way for LA to bring in the new year: win the Rose Bowl. USC killed Illini at 49-17, winning their 23rd Rose Bowl title.
- 750 bills go into effect this year and the minimum wage is now $8 per hour!
- The news battle in Santa Barbara continues: Wendy McCaw, owner of the Santa Barbara News-Press, has lost in court over illegal firings. She "must re-hire and give back pay — to at least eight ex-staffers... they lose by winning," Kevin Roderick says at LA Observed about the staffers who now get to go back to work, err, hell.
- LA Times columnist Joel Stein offers his 2008 predictions (on NPR too). Here he is on the Writers Strike: "The Directors Guild accepts a crappy deal from the studios, and a week later, the Writers Guild agrees to the same terms, calling it a "major victory for the proletariat." Studios are then flooded with 150 comedy scripts about an out-of-work dad who drives his wife and kids crazy. Michael Keaton once again commands $20 million."
- "Seattle's Freeway Park occupies 5.2 acres above the 5 freeway and was opened on July 4th, 1976," Eric Richardson at blogdowntown reflects when thinking about LA's open proposal for a freeway park over the Hollywood Freeway.
- Associate Press: Setback for the Defense in a Hollywood Wiretapping Case
- Weather nor protesters ruined the smooth Tournament of Roses parade today. Tons of pictures at LA Times (careful, this link will change your browser window size)
- Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien and Craig Ferguson will host their shows again starting tomorrow. Only Letterman and Ferguson will have the support of writers.