This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Tax Dollars for The Ketchup Trial
"Top "o" the world Ma!" Photo by A.C.Thamer via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Steve Rocco, was found guilty today for stealing a ketchup bottle from a Chapman University cafeteria. Rocco stated,"this is not over," as he left the courtroom. Let's hope that it is over, because it has already cost taxpayers thousands of dollars!
- LAist's own "Recession Obsessed," Caleb Bacon, explained his motives for finding eats on the cheap to The Daily Bruin. With a name like Bacon, you know the guy's the go-to for food recommendations. If you have no idea what any of this means, check here, here, and here.
- LA Metblogs suggests just cutting to the chase with Obama's high speed rail plans and creating a train between LA and NYC.
- Three women were allegedly sexually assaulted last night at USC's Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. The Fraternity has been suspended by the university during the investigation.
- A 3-alarm fire broke out last night at the South Pasadena Public Works Department Yard. Fire fighters were able to contain the blaze from spreading but damages are estimated to be around $1 million.
- Police released a sketch of a man who stabbed and killed a man in Northridge on Saturday night. Police are seeking to secure a reward for anyone who comes forward with information.
- When you're stuck in Coachella traffic this weekend, take a little stop in Cabazon instead of sitting in the car. There's some worth wile things to do that will kill a few hours of time.
- TRAFFIC ADVISORY - - SOUTHBOUND SEPULVEDA TUNNEL TO BE PARTIALLY CLOSED TOMORROW. The southbound Sepulveda Tunnel will close lanes 2 and 3 tomorrow starting at 9 a.m. until approximately 2 p.m. Lane 1 will remain open. Motorists exiting Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) will not have access to Sepulveda Boulevard and the eastbound I-105 onramp.Motorists exiting LAX should expect some delays. The eastbound I-105 can be accessed via east Century Boulevard to Aviation Boulevard heading south. The closure will not affect the northbound Sepulveda lanes. The closure is due to cleaning by Los Angeles Street Services. (via LAX press release)
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.