Extra, Extra: Hints of a Draft and a Tribute to Hal Fishman
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute, i.e. Bush's "war czar," thinks it "makes sense" to consider a return to the military draft.
- Students are teaching educators about the crises facing many local high schools and teenage dropouts.
- Health officials are cautioning that Panorama City residents may be at great risk of contracting West Nile virus - with most confirmed cases arising in that region.
- Residents of Borrego Springs, a small resort and retirement community in northeast San Diego County, are struggling to deal with an impending water shortage.
- The Paley Center in Beverly Hills is screening a documentary on KTLA in memory of Hal Fishman through tomorrow.
- Meet the brothers responsible for feeding the participants in some of L.A.'s biggest celebrity murder trials.
- Good/bad news time: the Metro will be getting a new infusion of ad money from CBS Outdoor - which also means you'll be seeing a lot more prominent (read: annoying) displays.
- Though they've found "survival space," rescue workers still haven't been able to locate the 6 trapped coal miners in Utah.
- Alberto Gonzales is visiting Iraq to offer some of his legal "expertise."