Extra, Extra: Big Fish in a Big Pond
LAist relies on reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Please welcome me (and LAist) in Congratulating our Editor, Zach Behrens, for being named one of the "40 Under 40", by the San Fernando Business Journal! The award recognizes young working business professionals to watch out for in the Valley. The article runs next week, and in case you're wondering, yes, Zach rules!
- Talkin' bout a Revolution!!! Counties are lining up against the State and their attempt to defer budget costs to Counties.
- A suspected burglar was arrested in conjunction with a few burglaries in Santa Clarita. Jay Blehm, 18, of Valencia even sent text messages to friends trying to pawn his new "hot" goods. yo,wnt 2 buy some jwlry, or other stuff I stole ;).
- What's better to do on a rainy day then get into some sweatpants and play some video games? LA Snark just found "the greatest video game ever created" - Van Halen Asteroids. Try to beat the high score of 0U812.
- Our Publisher, Gothamist, got some major credit today. Editor, Jen Chung, got to ask Mayor Bloomberg a few questions about a mysterious maple syrup smell that overtook NYC. This may not be a big deal to you, but consider that Gothamist has never been granted press credentials even though their 4.8 million montly page views dwarfs the 1.9 million of the NY Observer (who has no problem getting press access). To Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's credit, LAist has been on his press list for a few years.
- Speaking of Disneyland, "It's a Small World" opens back up tomorrow and people are peeved. Disney added 29 characters from Disney and Disney-Pixar cartoons to the classic ride in addition to some new music. Nothing wrong with some shameless self-promotion while upgrading an iconic ride.
- How have your New Years Resolutions been going? Green LA Girl has been sober since the January 1st and her hopes of enlightenment have been futile.
- Two men are dead after using a camping stove indoors in the Moreno Valley. The men ran a hose from a propane tank outside, through a bathroom window and attached it to the stove. A few others in the abandoned house were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.