This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Did You See that Crazy Dress She Was Wearing?
Bright Umbrellas in Chinatown for a Less than Bright Day
- Crews are still working to restore power to some 3,600 Edison and DWP residents that lost power due to heavy rains and winds over the past two days. North Hollywood, Granada Hills, Porter Ranch, Pomona, Torrance, Stevenson Ranch and - gasp! - Beverly Hills residents were affected. Candles, people. More rain is on the way so gather ye umbrellas while ye may.
- Tons of rain at night is a snowboarder's delight! All this rain means oodles of snow - Mammoth got 25 inches of snow this weekend and Snow Summit got 16 inches. Time to suit up for a road trip.
- City officials announced grand plans today to bring Broadway back to Downtown. The plan includes fixing up the streets, fixing up the ornate Art Deco & Baroque movie theaters and bringing in da noise and da funk. In that order.
- Sad news: Former USC coach Larry Smith has died of leukemia. He was 68.
- The SAG awards were handed out last night in what may be this town's only chance this year to get all snarky about who wore what well and who looked like hell. A complete surprise to exactly no one: The Sopranos won big for television and No Country For Old Men cleaned up nicely on the film side. The Office and 30 Rock were winners as well. Next year: The Wire. Or else. You heard it here first.
- The WGA to professional musicians: "Help us help you" The
popularity contest based solely on album salesGrammy Awards will go on.
- LEGO my eggo! Today is the 50th anniversary of the LEGO Brick. Frightening statistic: children spend 5 billion hours a year playing with LEGO bricks. But the real question: how many LEGO bricks get stuck up their noses resulting in emergency room visits with worried/embarassed/mortified parents every year?
- Voting by mail? Not if you don't get your written request in by tomorrow! Get your request online at LAVote.net and mail it in poste haste. Otherwise, you'll have to wait in line with the rest of us on Super Tuesday.
- Speaking of elections and politics...Bush's last State of the Union Address is going to be televised...right...about...now.