Extra, Extra: Can a Shoe Be Racist?
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- The police chief of Torrance will be holding a workshop on Wednesday explaining how the state plans to reduce the prison population.
- Residents of Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach were left in the dark yesterday after a sizable power outage.
- A gang member from La Habra will go on trial tomorrow for a murder he's accused of committing 15 years ago.
- A Beverly Hills designer is being called racist for creating a shoe with shackles around the ankles that detractors say is reminiscent of slavery.
- L.A. city officials are facing claims that the L.A. Zoo's elephant exhibits mistreat the animals therein.
- Abdul Arian, who was shot by police 90 times on the 101 freeway earlier this year, didn't have any drugs or alcohol in his system at the time of his death.
- Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).