This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Hello, Rosh Hashana! KPCC today checked in with Michael Chusid, "an Angelino who has taught hundreds of people to blow the shofar."
- An Orange County fisherman has been sentenced to "three years' informal probation and 20 days in jail" for stomping on a California brown pelican.
- The Mount Olympus man who sued a production company for significantly inconveniencing him as they shot a Beyonce music video in his neighborhood has won a five-figure settlement.
- That truck driving school proposed for the Northeast Valley won approval by the Board of Public Works today, despite opposition from the community.
- "Google Instant Search," which launched today, "gives you real-time results as you type and predicts your queries. That is, unless you’re searching for naughty things."
- 37 suspected illegal immigrants from six countries were found in a Riverside County drop house today.
- Tips on cooking eggplant, including one from Chef Victor Casanova of Culina.
- Los Angeles will get $10 million of the $149 million given to California from the federal government. The money is for "emergency assistance to help local California communities acquire, redevelop or demolish foreclosed properties."