Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- It got a bit crazy in Hollywood last night when a club was closed due to overcrowding, prompting trouble on the streets and the LAPD to put on their riot gear.
- Labor Day: UCLA today released a study showing that union jobs in Los Angeles are disappearing faster than anywhere else in the country.
- A helicopter with a person dangling off a lowered rope ladder was seen flying around the Venice Beach area this weekend. Why? A viral marketing campaign for the TV show Nikita.
- Combined, the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach handle around 40% of the United State's imported goods with many containers being transported via rail to near downtown L.A. in a half hour. The $2.3 billion Alameda Corridor has made that short trip possible, but with the recession in play, paying back debt has become increasingly difficult.
- A new Italian restaurant, Portofino Cucina Italiana, has opened in downtown's historic core.
- A LAPD motorcycle officer was hit by a car today in Van Nuys, suffering minor injuries.
- El Salvador's president, Mauricio Funes, is in Southern California today and Tuesday. Local Salvadorans hope to see an official El Salvador Community Corridor in L.A. soon.
- What do your top city officials in Ventura County get paid? Here's a nice data page showing all that information in graphs and charts.