LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Despite the concerns of some animal rights activists, Brenda Barnette was confirmed yesterday in to head up LA's Animal Services Department.
- Mayor Villaraigosa is blogging over at the HuffPo today about his Summer Jobs program.
- Better double check that bag of Fresh Express salad you were about to serve up for dinner; there's a recall.
- A Ventura Co. judge has ruled it's time to get the trial underway for the Oxnard school shooting that was sparked by a student's sexual orientation.
- Lede of the day, thanks to the OC Register: "A 65-year-old woman who hit her fiance with a vehicle and, police allege, tried to run over officers has been charged with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and driving under the influence."
- Earlier this morning, a broken water main caused flooding in Downtown.
- The NYT has a piece this week about the trend of movie sing-a-long events. We think we do a pretty respectable job with The Sound of Music and other films here at the Hollywood Bowl.
- Want to go see Keane, Ingrid Michaelson and Fran Healy on Wednesday, July 21st at the Greek Theatre? We're giving away two pairs of tickets and two chances to win them. You can enter twice, once on this LAist post and once by "liking" LAist on Facebook followed by commenting on this wall post. Good luck!