This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- One architect wants to "Save the Peak" by turning the Hollywood Sign into a hotel... literally.
- While the L.A. Angels of Anaheim were loading onto a bus outside their New York City hotel today, a man committed suicide right in front of them.
- With people coming and going all night and blacked out windows, El Monte neighbors had suspicions something was up. And yes, it was a 700-plant marijuana operation.
- "Labeling Young Dems simply as 'the future' downplays the importance of our demographic now," says the young Democratic National Committee member Becca Doten in anticipation of this weekend's California Democratic Party State Convention in L.A.
- In downtown, the Biscuit Company burglars have been caught.
- Another day, another huge earthquake. A 6.9 magnitude quake struck China today.
- Good news for the L.A. economy. The Grammys will continue their show in Los Angeles next year on February 13th.
- And... some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.