This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Awards season gets going early tomorrow morning with the announcement of the Golden Globe nominations.
- A report finds that fewer college graduates are opting to go into teaching in California.
- Google is using the City of LA's possible switch to Gmail as a marketing tool.
- It seems the recently opened rehab center that caters to a high-end clientele is ruffling feathers in West Hollywood.
- A Beverly Hills charitable organization is offering free $10 taxi vouchers on their website in the hopes of reducing the number of DUIs taking place over the holidays.
- Disneyland's animatronic President Lincoln has been updated with some new technology that will make his face move in a more natural way during the "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" show.
- LA's tap water isn't as clean as you might think, which is why GreenLA Girl suggests getting a filter.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.