This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Wet weather has caused a number of traffic nightmares in Southern California, including 90 cars stuck on the muddied roads of Angeles Crest Highway, and part of PCH being shut down in the OC.
- Score one for the Yes on 8 (aka anti-gay marriage) camp, as a federal court denied the pro-gay marriage camp the right to see internal communication documents of their opposition.
- An annual ranking names Arcadia as the best California city when it comes to a place for raising kids.
- Congratulations to the 12 Los Angeles-based artists selected to take part in the prestigious 2010 Whitney Biennial February-May in New York City.
- The LADWP Holiday Light Festival and Family Mini Festival in Griffith Park will be closed tonight due to the weather. The events are expected to reopen tomorrow, Sunday, December 13 at 5 pm. (via press release).
- Nobel-schmobel? Pasadena might revive their own civic award, the Noble Award, after a brief absence.
- Good news for late-night eaters: Blogdowntown reports that Spring Street's LA Cafe is going 24 hours.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.