This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Did you notice that it's a little windy out? Power has been knocked out at The Roxy and Rainbow Room in West Hollywood, forcing the closure of both for the night. Gusts are about 50 MPH in LA County and up in the Bay Area, a cable snapped on the Bay Bridge. Expect the conditions to last through tomorrow morning.
- And here are some wind safety tips from the L.A. Fire Department.
- If the city builds a garage on Broadway in downtown, the owner of the historic Los Angeles and Palace theatres will bring them back to life.
- What are the best trick-or-treating neighborhoods in the L.A. region based on "four equally weighted data variables: Zillow Home Value Index, population density, Walk Score, and local crime data"?
- It's a fast-casual restaurant mania at Santa Monica Place. Plans call for Charlie Kabob, Chick n' Ribs and a few others.
- Hey now, Echo Park. "Echo Park’s about to get eco-artsy," finds Green LA Girl.
- Nice: Glendale and Burbank receive federal cash for "smart meters."
- We're rocking two contests right now and giving away two pairs of tickets to R. Crumb's appearence at UCLA Live this Thursday and three pairs of tickets to the Troubadour on Sunday when Black Gold and Girl in a Coma will take stage.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.