This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Win Tix to UCLA Live: Comic Book Artist R. Crumb to Speak on Thursday
In conjunction with “The Bible Illuminated: R. Crumb’s Book of Genesis,”, which opened at the Hammer Museum last Friday, UCLA Live this Thursday is hosting a rare appearance of the famous cult cartoonist in a conversation with Françoise Mouly, The New Yorker's Art Editor.
A little about Crumb, via UCLA Live:
In the late ’60s, R. Crumb’s psychedelic comics—including the characters Fritz the Cat, Mr. Natural, Devil Girl and the popular Keep on Truckin’ cartoon— propelled him overnight to celebrity status in San Francisco’s burgeoning underground scene. His charming “bigfoot” style fused with overt sexual images were very well received in the free-love capital—but also led to obscenity arrests, copyright ownership lawsuits and years of trouble with the IRS. It wasn’t until the mid-’80s that Crumb began to receive widespread recognition for the importance of his work, which unapologetically unveiled the disturbing side of the American psyche.
We're giving away two pairs of tickets to our readers (need tix right now? you can buy them here). To enter, let us know in the comments section your favorite comic or cartoon, whether it be mainstream, TV, in print, etc. Full details of the contest are below:
- Enter the contest by making a comment on this post. Comments must fit the criteria, stated below.
- The criteria of the comment is that you share your favorite comic or cartoon. It could be mainstream, found on TV, in print, etc.
- Only one entry per person allowed.
- Comments will be accepted through Wednesday, October 28th, 10:00:00 p.m.
- Two qualifying comments will be chosen at random and those winners will be notified via the e-mail connected to their LAist.com login. The winner must confirm the receipt of the e-mail by 10:00:00 a.m., Thursday, October 29th, 2009 or the tickets will be released to another winner.
- A pair of tickets will either be held at will call
Good luck and enjoy the show!