This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Thousands of cases of green onions were recalled by a California firm last week with the news going wide today. Question: are you growing your own yet?
- The Downtown Art Walk is this Thursday and the Downtown News examines how it's turned into quite a different beast--street party!--over the past five years.
- After promoting Reverend Jeff Carr to Chief of Staff, Mayor Villaraigosa announced Los Angeles' new gang czar, Guillermo Cespedes.
- For the first time, Disney is giving Space Mountain a halloween makeover!
- A nice sneak peek at the underground Mariachi Plaza light rail station for the Gold Line eastside extension in Boyle Heights.
- Two new schools, an elementary and a middle school, could be breaking ground at the edge of Skid Row in the near future.
- Ready for some sweet sexy video time? A look at yesterday's Labor Day Body Building Championship at Venice Beach.
- It's not even close to the 2011 race for city hall, but Chief of Staff Mitch Englander is readying himself in the race for the 12th District seat (that's the Northwest Valley) by announcing a handful of powerful endorsements.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.