LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Looking at next week's special election, Governor Schwarzenegger's Department of Finance says the state budget deficit will be $15.4 billion if Props 1A through 1E pass, $21.3 billion if they fail.
- A nice new bar opens in downtown this week. Welcome BottleRock to the South Park neighborhood (they have another location in Culver City).
- 2008 High School Dropout Rate announced today: 34.9% in LA County, 11.5% in Orange County.
- Bad news. Mayor Villaraigosa has said city employee layoffs are unavoidable and is calling for 1,000 to be cut. In Long Beach, city employees are being asked to forgo raises.
- The latest numbers from the LAPD are out for crimes in 2009. 99 homicides, 6362 cars reported stolen and 10310 car break-ins.
- The federal protections over the delta smelt up in Northern California is one of the reasons we are having water troubles down here. Now things might change.
- The first community garden for Highland Park opened last weekend.
- Trouble for the West Hollywood based Ticketmaster: "Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. said first-quarter earnings fell 78 percent as ticket sales slowed and a ticketing agreement with merger partner Live Nation ended." Ouch.