Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Looking at next week's special election, Governor Schwarzenegger's Department of Finance says the state budget deficit will be $15.4 billion if Props 1A through 1E pass, $21.3 billion if they fail.
- A nice new bar opens in downtown this week. Welcome BottleRock to the South Park neighborhood (they have another location in Culver City).
- 2008 High School Dropout Rate announced today: 34.9% in LA County, 11.5% in Orange County.
- Bad news. Mayor Villaraigosa has said city employee layoffs are unavoidable and is calling for 1,000 to be cut. In Long Beach, city employees are being asked to forgo raises.
- The latest numbers from the LAPD are out for crimes in 2009. 99 homicides, 6362 cars reported stolen and 10310 car break-ins.
- The federal protections over the delta smelt up in Northern California is one of the reasons we are having water troubles down here. Now things might change.
- The first community garden for Highland Park opened last weekend.
- Trouble for the West Hollywood based Ticketmaster: "Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc. said first-quarter earnings fell 78 percent as ticket sales slowed and a ticketing agreement with merger partner Live Nation ended." Ouch.