Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- The LAPD welcomed 50 new officers into their ranks yesterday.
- Space Shuttle Discovery landed safely in Florida today. On board: An Astronaut from the OC.
- A recent audit of the LAUSD highlights the long-running "power struggle" between the board and the oversight committee responsible for construction spending.
- Still shakin': A series of mini-quakes have rattled beneath Chino Hills, including one this morning at a magnitude of 2.3.
- A man driving solo on Topanga Canyon this morning was involved in a fatal crash when he lost control of the vehicle and tumbled down the hill, landing in someone's back yard.
- Someone else with California ties is headed to DC. This time it's the former Caltech prof who will serve as undersecretary of science at the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Aaron Spelling's widow Candy (mom to Tori and Randy) has put their Holmby Hills estate up for sale. The price: $150 million. What a deal!
- A crime you don't hear about too often, but what one woman staying in L.A. stands accused of: Bear bile importation.