Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- The LAPD welcomed 50 new officers into their ranks yesterday.
- Space Shuttle Discovery landed safely in Florida today. On board: An Astronaut from the OC.
- A recent audit of the LAUSD highlights the long-running "power struggle" between the board and the oversight committee responsible for construction spending.
- Still shakin': A series of mini-quakes have rattled beneath Chino Hills, including one this morning at a magnitude of 2.3.
- A man driving solo on Topanga Canyon this morning was involved in a fatal crash when he lost control of the vehicle and tumbled down the hill, landing in someone's back yard.
- Someone else with California ties is headed to DC. This time it's the former Caltech prof who will serve as undersecretary of science at the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Aaron Spelling's widow Candy (mom to Tori and Randy) has put their Holmby Hills estate up for sale. The price: $150 million. What a deal!
- A crime you don't hear about too often, but what one woman staying in L.A. stands accused of: Bear bile importation.