This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: 818 Area Code Shake Up & LA's Most Powerful Unelected Official
- Recent major events for the LAFD include last night's apartment fires in North Hollywood and Westchester.
- Busy day on LAPD's blog: a drive-by shooting yesterday, a labor day homicide, Congressman Xavier Becerra's office burglarized, two fatal Skid Row stabbings, a Carl's Jr. robbery and a fatal shooting this morning in South LA.
- Sparked by the recent heat-reated power outages, Matt Littman at the Huffington Post asks if Los Angeles is in permanent decay: "It would be helpful if we saw political figures that seemed to be on top of the situation, that had a plan to make it better. It would be enlightening to see the major media publication in our area hold the irresponsible responsible. What is the plan to fix Los Angeles? What is the plan to make this City livable? "
- Speaking of that, About 340 DWP and 2,808 Southern California Edison customers are still with no power.
- What was that steady paced RV police chase last night in the Valley about?
- 22 vehicle pile up on the 215 freeway and no serious injuries among the 10 hurt.
- Joe Edmiston, executive director of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy and the Mountains Recreation and Conservancy Authority, is known as "L.A.'s most powerful unelected official" and Mayor Sam has his eyes on him.
- Just like the 310 area code, 818 is now facing its split or overlay. Hurry up and get your 818 to represent yourself Valley style!
- By this time next year, we could be facing mandatory water rationing, something that hasn't happened in California since 1991.
Photo by discarted via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.