LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- A 22-year-old motorist died this morning when his car went over the side of the 210 Freeway in Monrovia. It is not known how the accident took place, but the victim was not wearing his seat belt and was pronounced dead at the scene.
- It's not a solution to their massive budget woes, it's an ongoing problem with payroll that refuses to be resolved: LAUSD employees are still getting shortchanged on their paychecks.
- Legendary tennis star Jimmy Connors was arrested last night outside the UCSB Thunderdome after a confrontation and failing to comply with orders to leave the area. Connors is a Santa Barbara resident who often frequents Gaucho basketball games.
- Influential musician Ry Cooder takes the NY Times on a tour of his California, focusing on the hot-rodder mecca El Mirage Dry Lake.
- People whose lives were forever changed by the 1993 Laguna wildfire share their experiences today in the OC Register, letting current OC fire victims know that the recovery process takes a lot of time.
- A DWP worker who was repairing a line downtown today was taken to the hospital after suffering burns to his abdomen when there was a "flashover"--meaning an unintended power surge that causes spontaneous combustion.
- Shoppers, preservationists, and architecture wonks rejoice: The Macy's on South Lake in Pasadena, which opened in 1947 as a Bullocks store for the automotive generation, has been restored and has now reopened.
- Looking for a new online search tool for local restaurants? You might want to check out BooRah, a review aggregator now listing thousands of area eateries.