This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A private plane crash at Catalina island has claimed the lives of three people on board, and left a fourth injured earlier this afternoon. LA County firefighters found the plane engulfed in flames when they arrived on scene just before 1:30 p.m.
- The drop in home prices means a spike in home sales here in Southern California, although, according to KFWB, "Foreclosure resales amounted to half of all transactions last month."
- While you might be able to get a house for a bargain, shoppers will soon have one less place to get shoes for a steal. Sherman Oaks-based retailer Shoe Pavilion is calling it quits after 29 years.
- Hey kids, don't drop acid. Or, wait, should we say don't drop the acid? An acid spill in Sylmar may have affected those nearby.
- A big day at LAX: Qantas brought in its Airbus A380 jumbo jet for a landing today, marking the start of a permanent run between LA and Melbourne and Sydney.
- This weekend was the 2008 California Firefighters Memorial Ceremony. Check out what Gov. Schwarzenegger said in his remarks to the attendees.
- Pasadenians: Ever wonder how "green" you are? Take this online green training offered by the City of Pasadena and get clued in on local resources.
- If you happen to be outside in the pre-dawn hours tomorrow, take a look up at the sky and see if you can catch a glimpse of the Orionid meteors.