Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- A private plane crash at Catalina island has claimed the lives of three people on board, and left a fourth injured earlier this afternoon. LA County firefighters found the plane engulfed in flames when they arrived on scene just before 1:30 p.m.
- The drop in home prices means a spike in home sales here in Southern California, although, according to KFWB, "Foreclosure resales amounted to half of all transactions last month."
- While you might be able to get a house for a bargain, shoppers will soon have one less place to get shoes for a steal. Sherman Oaks-based retailer Shoe Pavilion is calling it quits after 29 years.
- Hey kids, don't drop acid. Or, wait, should we say don't drop the acid? An acid spill in Sylmar may have affected those nearby.
- A big day at LAX: Qantas brought in its Airbus A380 jumbo jet for a landing today, marking the start of a permanent run between LA and Melbourne and Sydney.
- This weekend was the 2008 California Firefighters Memorial Ceremony. Check out what Gov. Schwarzenegger said in his remarks to the attendees.
- Pasadenians: Ever wonder how "green" you are? Take this online green training offered by the City of Pasadena and get clued in on local resources.
- If you happen to be outside in the pre-dawn hours tomorrow, take a look up at the sky and see if you can catch a glimpse of the Orionid meteors.