LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker has been released from the Georgia hospital where he's been recuperating since the plane crash that took the lives of 4 of the passengers. DJ AM (nee Adam Goldstein), who was released last week, and Barker were the only survivors; both are expected to fully recover.
- Perhaps this new trade school in the Bay Area can be a model for a similar school here in LA--they train youth for careers in the medical marijuana industry.
- The best 16 teachers in LA County were announced today; 2 of them hail from the troubled LAUSD.
- A 28-year-old North Hollywood man has been arrested in the shooting death of a 37-year-old Sherman Oaks man, who was fired at in an industrial part of North Hollywood Saturday night.
- It's looking like the Echo Park property that's home to the Barlow Respiratory Hospital could be turned into condos.
- Around 700 athletes took place in the first ever Orange County Triathlon this weekend; some finishes were more dramatic than most.
- Did you hear the one about the tattooed fireman? Ok, we didn't either but a recent column on the subject in the Times has sparked a "culture war."
- You still have a chance to win tickets to see David Byrne live at the Greek with Brian Eno. Check out our ticket contest!