Extra, Extra: Spears to Leave Los Angeles?
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Temperatures this weekend hit near record highs with 87 in Downtown, 88 in Long Beach, 83 in Malibu, 86 in parts of the Valley and the highest at 89 in Riverside.
- The pop sensation turned train wreck is getting some pressure from her family to turn in that Malibu mansion for a Louisiana trailer in an attempt to get away from "bad influences". No question it might do her some good, but I'm pretty sure paparazzo's can read a map like everyone else.
- The so-called Weathergirl Bandit has been arrested. Felicia Ellen Jones, 45, was arrested Saturday afternoon in connection with three bank robberies in the past two months. She received her moniker because Jones liked to chat up the tellers, asking them about the weather and such, before robbing them blind. It's nice to see that robbers can still be personable.
- Pedro Espinoza, who was arrested earlier this month for allegedly shooting Jamiel Shaw, may be in the country illegaly , immigration officials said. The dude may now be deported after doing time.
- The biggest anti-China protest in years has been raging around the world, including in Tibet, for the better part of March. Tibetan leaders are saying as many as 100 people may have died and the LA Times takes a look at how their anguish is affecting Tibetan ex-pats in Southern California. Most US leaders have condemned China, including all the Presidential front-runners, but Bush is still going to the Beijing Olympics later this year.
- A fire caused about $25,000 to an apartment building in Downtown, near Staples Center Saturday night. One woman is in grave condition and two men are in critical condition.
- The California Department of Health fined Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and 10 other hospitals, $25,000 for giving overdoses of a blood thinner to three infants including the newborn twins of Dennis Quaid that might have put the tykes in grave danger. The hospital had to be sued so stuff like this doesn't happen again, but who else is excited for their insurance rates to go up?
- Fun event starting at 7 p.m.: a listening party for a collaborative album of 32 Los Angeles musicians on one record. More info on the event at the Found Gallery in Silver Lake here.