This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Seriously, in the Bathroom for TWO YEARS?
- So apparently in Kansas there's this lady who decided to sit on the toilet for two years -- this story is so bizarre I can hardly fathom it.
- How's this for shocking: remember that Downtown housing boom that was luring so many buyers to all those cool new lofts? Well, it's not so hot anymore downtown, thanks to the housing crisis. The housing crisis ruins ALL our nice things!
- "Top Chef" Season 2 winner Ilan Hall is moving to LA to try his luck with a roving restaurant truck that serves tapas. Weird, but it might be pretty cool!
- In other big news for foodies, Jonathan Gold finally reviewshipster-hot coffeeshop LA Mill, and delivers a preview of Nobu Matsuhisa's new L.A. outpost, Nobu.
- The neighbors are beginning to complain: local businesses are beginning to protest the long waits and idling traffic that characterizes so many So Cal In 'N Outs. The chain is "increasing the number of workers who approach the waiting cars on foot to take their orders."
- Love it or hate it, LAX is our brand name airport. Every few years, the city is required to conduct a comprehensive review of the performance of Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA), who also run Van Nuys, Ontario and Palmdale airports. That means you can take a survey and tell them to stay as is, gain the ease of Burbank Airport or hire a blues band or two like they do at baggage claim in Chicago.
- You know what babies love? Do you? Other than breast milk and pooping themselves, I mean. They love being smoke-free! According to researchers, babies who live in tobacco-free environments are happier than babies who were exposed to smokers.
- Did you know trees can be nominated for stuff? Activists in West Hollywood have designated certain trees "Heritage Trees," and these nominated oaks will now be eligible for historic status. Nominate your favorite tree here!