This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Spring Is Coming Back Again....
- An arrest has been made in the murder of Jamiel Shaw, the football star who was tragically killed outside of his home last week. We covered the community's tributes to Shaw this weekend.
- Oh look, abstinence education is really working! Or, actually, it's failing miserably: a shocking 1 in 4 teenage girls has an STD. I always thought that 1 in 4 statistic applied to UCSB students only.
- A shooting near an elementary school in Long Beach put the school on lockdown; the shooting did not involve students and the school has been reopened.
- Are we sure it's okay to let her out in public already? Britney Spears will be making a small cameo on the television show "How I Met Your Mother." Can we invoke the Lemon Law here?
- A UCI student was found dead of a handgun wound in the trunk of a car; he had been missing for two weeks and authorities are suspecting suicide.
- Moorpark High School has won the state Academic Decathlon: man, they were good back when I was in high school, and they're still good now. Congrats, kids! Represent California in the nationals!
- Updates on this weekend's shooting at an O.C. mall: "The robber attracted attention as soon as he entered the mall because of an obvious wig he wore as a disguise."
- Flowers are blooming in the desert again! Head out to Anza-Borrego to get your desert flower fix.