This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Now With 1 More Hour of Daylight
- This evening a public viewing will be held for slain LA High football star Jamiel Shaw, with funeral services to follow tomorrow. Shaw's tragic murder has prompted many LA residents to refocus on the senselessness of gang-related violence.
- Go, stop, go, stop: Commuters northbound on the 57 and the 605 transitioning to the 210 westbound this morning were greeted by the new traffic signals put in by Caltrans. More connector meters will go up elsewhere on the 210 soon, too.
- More cash out of pocket for that Pink's hot dog: The Wall Street Journal explains how the price of goods means pricier restaurant fare. Look for more toppings on your Pink's dog (higher profit margin) and more daily specials on local menus in place of pricey entrees.
- The city of Riverside is going ahead with plans to launch a homeless "service mall" which will be on land purchased in an industrial area and will serve as a link to the area's indigent to permanent housing.
- You're never too young to get into politics. Pasadena middle-schoolers are reportedly showing impressive levels of interest in this year's race to the White House. A major draw is the excitement of a woman and an African-American running, say local teachers.
- The year so far in Valley homicides: 16. The Daily News' Mean Streets blog breaks down the statistics in what's been an active first segment of the year.
- Over at CurbedLA today is a great piece and photo essay by guest blogger Eric Richardson of blogdowntown on Radio Hill Gardens, an awesome--but largely forgotten--green space in Elysian Park.
- The ultimate Hollywood bachelor still single? Dreamboat George Clooney denies being engaged to girlfriend Sarah Lawson. The couple recently had to endure another form of ridiculous questioning on the Oscar red carpet when Ryan Seacrest tried to verify a rumor about the pair buying someone's home in Malibu.