This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: Live Together, Die Alone
"The fundamentalists in the Virgil Village neigborhood have started a campaign to cover all exposed hydrant-breasts. Surely this is American prudishness at its silliest. Grow up! Hydrant-nipples are natural and beautiful. You would never see a hydrant like this in Europe. " | Photo and caption by benrodian via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Really, the only news I care about today? "Lost" is on tonight. Tomdog had the scoop today.
- Hang out with your roommate...drink all day...get in a fight...get stabbed -- in the BUTT! Yes, as in ass. "The suspect and victim are roommates and had been drinking all day. They began fighting for an unknown reason." Come on now -- is it really "unknown"?
- Construction crews are hoping to have today's mudslide on Sepulveda cleaned up by rush hour -- hopefully all you commuters just now hitting the road won't have any problems.
- Criminal charges are being filed against an importer who allegedly distributed over 90,000 tubes of toothpaste that contained antifreeze, a poisonous substance. Some 70,000 tubes were confiscated at the Port of Long Beach.
- Sick, sick, sick. An Orange County woman was sentenced to 50 years in jail for her role in helping her boyfriend videotape the molestation of her niece.
- A church in Arleta was set ablaze by an arsonist who threw a Molotov cocktail into the building earlier today.
- U.S. household worth fell for the first time in five years in 2007: "A slowdown in consumer spending, which accounts for two-thirds of the economy, threatens to push the U.S. into a recession."
- I think we need a laugh. How about a toddler singing "Hey Jude"? Yeah, that'll do the trick!
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.