This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Insert Metaphor Here
- Police are investigating the tragic shooting death of Los Angeles High School's Jamiel Shaw. The football MVP was gunned down by gang members last night. The 17-year-old's mother is on her second tour of duty in Iraq.
- The suspect in last week's shooting at a South LA bus stop is facing 15 felony counts and was arraigned today on the charges. The 24-year-old man "fired at least 15 rounds from a 9 mm handgun into a group of people standing near the bus stop in front of a fast- food restaurant," claims the authorities.
- Cash to fight gangs in LA: The County was awarded almost $5 million in state grants today to go towards fighting gang activities, with the City itself netting almost $1 million for efforts on multiple levels.
- Conservation groups have launched a lawsuit against LA and Malibu for allegedly violating the Clean Water Act, and aims at forcing the cities to initiate a clean-up of the contaminants.
- "No, I said my LEFT knee!" For the third time in just over two years, doctors at St. Joseph's Hospital in the city of Orange performed an operation on the wrong side of the patient's body. Okay, surgeons, make an "L" with your thumb and index finger...that's your left hand!
- Gas talk: "The government's latest survey shows that the average price of regular is $3.43 a gallon, which compares with $3.06 on Feb. 4. Let's see, an extra 37 cents times 15 gallons to fill up your tank is $5.55 - not enough to get most of us in a panic, but enough to at least get our attention" (LABizObserved)
- Feeling less-than-snazzy in your old jalopy? Check out Gridskipper's handy new guide: How to Survive in LA With a Crappy Car.
- And a big blogospherrific Happy 5th Birthday to one of LAist's fav blogs, Franklin Avenue!
- And a big high-five to Burbank!! Their air quality is one of the worst in Southern California according to South Coast Air Quality Management District.