Extra Extra: Of Guns & Paparazzi
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our fall member drive.
- The neighborhood lock-down in Glassell Park is over after an earlier shoot-out involving police left one dead and other suspects unaccounted for throughout the afternoon.
- Skateland in Northridge is turning 50! Time to call up the extended family and ask them if they have any good memories of this classic Valley fun zone. (Because my family is FROM here. Babies.)
- What's with all the gunplay today? Police have arrested a gunman who injured another man in a Beverly Hills shootout late last night.
- Who needs guns? Pepper spray kills too. A 50-year-old Westchester woman who had a stroke after being pepper-sprayed by a younger woman who went for her purse died today.
- Wait...so it's okay to hail a cab Downtown, but it's not okay for that cab to stop and pick you up? Yet another winner in the annals of Stupid Laws That Make No Sense.
- OMG Steve Aoki totally sucks! OMG no he doesn't! OMG let's fight! No, this is not the tale of LAist Commenter versus LAist Commenter, but instead Urb Magazine versus Pitchfork. It's a hipster conundrum!
- The writers strike cost the Los Angeles economy approximately 2.5 billion, now economists are saying the strike may continue to have far-reaching economic effects.
- This doesn't have anything to do with Oceanic Airlines, does it?? Air travel between Los Angeles and Australia may become cheaper, now that officials on both sides of the Big Pond have opened the way for clearer skies.
- Stay away from them starlets! Four paparazzi were arrested in two separate incidents in West Hollywood last night. Seems the LA County Sheriff's Dept. got the memo from City Councilman Dennis Zine who wants to make it illegal for photogs to crowd on sidewalks.