This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra Extra: Of Guns & Paparazzi
Photo by WishByNight via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- The neighborhood lock-down in Glassell Park is over after an earlier shoot-out involving police left one dead and other suspects unaccounted for throughout the afternoon.
- Skateland in Northridge is turning 50! Time to call up the extended family and ask them if they have any good memories of this classic Valley fun zone. (Because my family is FROM here. Babies.)
- What's with all the gunplay today? Police have arrested a gunman who injured another man in a Beverly Hills shootout late last night.
- Who needs guns? Pepper spray kills too. A 50-year-old Westchester woman who had a stroke after being pepper-sprayed by a younger woman who went for her purse died today.
- Wait...so it's okay to hail a cab Downtown, but it's not okay for that cab to stop and pick you up? Yet another winner in the annals of Stupid Laws That Make No Sense.
- OMG Steve Aoki totally sucks! OMG no he doesn't! OMG let's fight! No, this is not the tale of LAist Commenter versus LAist Commenter, but instead Urb Magazine versus Pitchfork. It's a hipster conundrum!
- The writers strike cost the Los Angeles economy approximately 2.5 billion, now economists are saying the strike may continue to have far-reaching economic effects.
- This doesn't have anything to do with Oceanic Airlines, does it?? Air travel between Los Angeles and Australia may become cheaper, now that officials on both sides of the Big Pond have opened the way for clearer skies.
- Stay away from them starlets! Four paparazzi were arrested in two separate incidents in West Hollywood last night. Seems the LA County Sheriff's Dept. got the memo from City Councilman Dennis Zine who wants to make it illegal for photogs to crowd on sidewalks.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.