Extra, Extra: However You Like It
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our fall member drive.
- A meeting last night in Oxnard brought out hundreds of parents angered over the recent shooting death of 15-year-old Lawrence King at the hands of a fellow teenager. They called for more vigilant security on campus and for more help for students who suffer from bullying.
- A multi-vehicle accident earlier this afternoon had two lanes of the 405 in Westwood shut down. Four people were injured in the crash.
- A man in his mid-60s shot and killed himself inside a Northridge firing range this afternoon. The recent member of the facility arrived this afternoon, rented a gun and a lane, and was found dead a few minutes later.
- DWP employees fight for their right to...lactate. Go get 'em, girls!
- Today's NY Times looks at You Bar, an LA-based company that makes custom-order nutrition bars for sale online. There goes any shred of hope we'll shed our crunchy-granola left-coast lifestylin' rep.
- Unsanitary nail salons are getting clipped with citations. 5 OC salons have gotten busted for doing things dirty since a new law went on the books last month.
- Sylvester Stallone says sure, he'll testify in the wiretapping case against private investigator Anthony Pellicano. Of course, no one has actually asked him to yet.
- The two men accused of stealing a bronze statue of Dan the miner from a Carthay Circle park, along with numerous other statue-for-metal-resale thefts, will remain in jail until a hearing at the end of the month to determine if they will face a trial.