Extra, Extra: Where the Day Takes You
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Just when you thought they had faded into obscurity, Segways are reappearing on the scene. This time they'll be the mode of transport for patrols in LA-area Target stores' parking lots. The company says they like to use them because they add 8 inches of height for the rider, and run on batteries.
- Some passengers at LAX were evacuated for about two hours yesterday after a man on an inbound flight from El Paso, Texas made some suspicious remarks. He was taken into custody when the plane landed, although a search of his belongings did not yield any weapons or explosives.
- Arrests by state and federal agents of several gang members who work out of East LA have netted a major player in the Crips and his girlfriend, who works as an LA County Probation Officer. More arrests were made this morning in Pacoima, and authorities are searching for nine others.
- Were you stuck in traffic on the 10 this afternoon? A motorist thrown from his car in an accident near the East LA interchange was killed and a SigAlert issued just before 2 today.
- There's a reason why they check your passport: An Encino man wanted for murder in Pasadena was arrested trying to cross back into the U.S. from Mexico yesterday when his warrant showed up in the database.
- President Reagan's 86-year-old widow Nancy fell last night in her Los Angeles home, and remains hospitalized in Santa Monica for observations. She is reportedly in good spirits.
- Score one for the Bruins, and $380k for pediatric AIDS activism and awareness. This weekend UCLA students held a 26-hour fundraising dance marathon. I got tired just typing that.
- Dame Magazine has an interview with a certain someone LAist knows and loves. Read about our former main man Tony Pierce's new life and Times.
- Last chance to enter to win a pair of tickets to Kanye West at NOKIA Theatre LA Live! Contest ends tonight. Hurry, hurry!