This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now
- An update to this week's tragic Oxnard junior high school shooting: The 15-year-old victim was taken off life support after his organs were donated today.
- 49-year-old transient Steven Emory Butcher was found guilty of starting one of the largest wildfires in state history. The Day Fire began on Labor Day in 2006, burned over 162,000 acres and took a month to put out.
- LA Observed's Kevin Roderick spoke up on KCRW today about Officer Randal Simmons funeral, but more importantly about how LA's local papers and websites often fail to notice important people and events in the community until it's too late: "There is lesson in this for all of the local media, websites included. But especially for the [LA Times], which remains the most potent news-gathering operation in Southern California."
- CurbedLA tells us that the 7-foot-tall statue that went missing from a park in Carthay Circle has been found. And he's not melted, just cut in two. The monument to a miner nicknamed Dan was found in a scrapyard.
- Investigators looking into a trailer ire this morning in Van Nuys discovered the body of deceased man inside. They were searching for a second man who had reportedly been in the trailer as well, but did not locate him.
- Snow to the South of us: A strange storm blew into San Diego County late yesterday, and forced the closures of I-8, and Highways 76 and 78 at various points through the night and into this morning.
- Thinking about checking out LACMA's new Broad Contemporary? The NY Times weighs in with their thoughts on the exhibits and the opening gala.
- Calling all Kanye fans! Don't forget to enter LAist's contest to win tickets to the superstar's upcoming concert in April. To enter the contest, all you have to do is tell us your favorite Downtown Area Los Angeles tip by 11:59:59 P.M., Monday, February 18, 2008 here.