This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A power outage left 1,000 people in Marina Del Ray in the dark.
- The L.A. Times and the Sacramento Bee are suing the California State Assembly for refusing to release the spending records and office budgets of its members.
- A former carnival worker has been arrested over a 1978 murder.
- David Beckham gifted his used, dirty soccer shirt to a fan.
- A local slam poetry group is profiled.
- The story behind Jonathan Gold's recent L.A. Times op-ed on banning shark's fins.
- OC schools might get a waiver from No Child Left Behind.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.