This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Prop 23 was defeated in Tuesday's election, but Prop 26 won. NBC says that means polluters still win.
- Jessica's Law, which restricts where sex offenders can live in relation to parks and schools has been struck down by a L.A. County Superior Court judge, but the state plans to fight the ruling.
- L.A. County Sheriff's will get a new headquarters when the shuttered Hall of Justice reopens in downtown.
- That official portrait of Jerry Brown from his first Governorship is back in the news again.
- Looking for a job in journalism? blogdowntown is looking for someone to be the site and paper's Editor. Good luck!
- It's apparently a dangerous job caring for the Watts Tower.
- Who's going to take over the LADOT? Rumor is it will be one of two Assistant General Managers: Amir Sedadi or John Fisher.
- And... some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter (and on new accounts @LAistFood and @LAistSports!), Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our iPhone app.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.