This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Weekend Movie Guide 03/11: Kill The Irishman & Battle The Aliens
St. Patrick's Day isn't until next week, but get the festivities off to an explosive start with Kill The Irishman! The film stars Ray Stevenson as Danny Greene, who awakens the wrath of the Walken. Cleveland rocks with explosions, bullets & mob assassins, but this Irishman's got a hell of a clover. All it does is bring out the feckin' fight! The Punisher director Jonathan Hensleigh lenses the crime actioner, which also stars Vinnie D'Onofrio & "Biggie Valls" Kilmer as Greene's unlikely allies.
It seems like just yesterday aliens assaulted the LA skyline. Today, they're back on the offensive & ready to Battle: Los Angeles! Modeled after gritty war films instead of invasion epics, Battle: Los Angeles features Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez & singer Ne-Yo as Marines struggling to beat back the extraterrestrial boogeymen. The best part of a scaled-down, realistic approach? It isn't in 3D! The same cannot be said of this weekend's second space adventure, Mars Needs Moms. The final production from Robert Zemeckis' ImageMovers Digital, Mars takes a trip into the intergalactic Uncanny Valley, but kids need kino.
To see something even further off the beaten path, check out our weekly Film Calendar of specialty theatres, revival houses and midnight movies. See you at the movies!
- Battle: Los Angeles (Showtimes)
- Kill The Irishman (Showtimes)
- Mars Needs Moms 3D (Showtimes)
- Red Riding Hood (Showtimes)
- Black Death (Laemmle's Sunset 5)
- Certified Copy (Laemmle Theatres) (The Landmark)
- Elektra Luxx (Nuart Theatre)
- The Human Resources Manager (Laemmle's Fallbrook 7)
- I Will Follow (AMC Criterion 6)
- Jane Eyre (The Landmark)
- The Over The Hill Band (Laemmle Theatres)
- The Power of the Powerless (Laemmle's Music Hall 3)
- Redland (Laemmle's Sunset 5)
- Saint Misbehavin': The Wavy Gravy Movie (Laemmle's Monica 4-Plex)
Kill The Irishman
Battle: Los Angeles
Mars Needs Moms
That's all for this week. Amanda Seyfried deserves better movies.