This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Viggo was Robbed! The Best Fight Scene Ever! Naked!
The Golden Globe winners have been announced, and unbelievably, Viggo Mortensen did NOT win "Best Actor" for Eastern Promises. True, he did not really emote; he didn't scream and he didn't cry. He did not play a person with a disability. Yes, he had to learn a foreign accent - with some success. But what really made Viggo award-worthy was that steamroom fight. I wish they had a "best fight scene" category like they do on the MTV awards. He better win the MTV award or I am calling "shenanigans". He fought off TWO knife-weilding Russian mobsters, including one who rose from the dead Carrie-style, all while completely naked. It was one of my favorite fight scenes ever, perhaps even making my top five.
Top five? Uh oh, I feel a numbered list coming on!!
(Check them out after the jump!)
Favorite Obscure Fight Scenes
1. Emperor of the North - Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgenine duking it out on a moving train on a bridge going over a ravine with sledgehammers, a chain and an axe. What more could you possibly want? To watch it in English? Sorry, I could only find it dubbed in Italian. You don't need dialogue to get the picture.
2. They Live - Rowdy Roddy Piper and Keith David duke it out in an alley. It wins points for sheer relentless brutality. It just goes on, and on, and on - the clip on YouTube is 4 minutes and 48 seconds. The other thing that makes it great is that it is over the most ridiculous plot point, with every vein on Piper's body jutting out as he screams, "Put...on...the...glasses!"
3. South Park's sendup of They Live with Timmy and Jimmy recreating the Piper-David fight. I thought it was done shot for shot at first, but the South Park fight is only half as long. Sorry I couldn't find a clip without random band music on it.
4. Shogun Assassin - This entire movie is one long fight scene. Deadly daikon radishes fly and knives jut out from the wheels of the baby cart to cut off the feet of ninjas as it rolls on by. This camp classic is based on a Japanese show called The Baby Cart Series and is narrated by a little boy who accompanies his father on a journey of vengeance as they fight the Shogun's ninja along the way.
5. Evil Dead 2 Bruce Campbell fights to the death with his own possessed hand. "Who's laughing NOW?" Who's laughing NOW?"
(Warning - BLOODY)
The Bourne Ultimatum for use of a book as a weapon
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly for the longest eyeballing scene ever, and for positioning the gunfighter to fall conveniently into his own grave.
Switchblade Sisters The bathroom, the roller rink or the classroom, these teenage wildcats are ready to throw down anywhere. Also, extra points for use of book as a weapon.
The Warriors Follow this loveable street gang as they fight off the most ridiculously themed gangs ever. The Baseball Furies? Come on now. The bathroom fight gets points for creative use of hairspray, girl biting, and people generally standing around waiting for their part of the fight choreography.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero for being so darn pretty.
Dead Alive for the ending where one man manages to fight off an entire army of the undead with creativity and an excess of blood.