Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts & Entertainment

These First On-Set 'True Detective' Photos Show Colin Farrell Sporting A Serious Stache

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Time to get giddy, True Detective fans. Production on the second season of HBO's crime drama is up and running, and the first photos on set have been released with Colin Farrell sporting a sweet mustache and bolo tie.

Pacific Coast News took these snapshots in Los Angeles on Friday. Although we can't exactly tell what's happening in the plot from these photos, we can see that Farrell, 38, is walking out of a house, near a police station and by a car. It was just two months ago that HBO announced that Farrell and Vince Vaughn would be the lead actors in the series created by Nic Pizzolatto. Although HBO has stayed mum on the other actors, Taylor Kitsch confirmed with Adweek in an interview in October that he would be in the show. It's rumored Rachel McAdams is in the running for the female lead.

What we know so far about the plot is that even though the first set photos were shot in Los Angeles, the story's based in a "lesser known" part of California (not Los Angeles), about "three police officers and a career criminal" who "must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder," HBO said in September.

According to the rumor mill, fans are theorizing that the story could be about "the death of a corrupt city manager and how the ensuing investigation leads to the detectives discovering the secret occult nature of California's transportation system," reported IndieWire.

Farrell portrays detective Ray Velcoro, who has some skeletons in his closet as he's "a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him," HBO said. Vaughn takes on the role of career criminal, Frank Semyon, who is making his way into turning his empire into a legitimate business, but his plans are thwarted after his business partner is murdered.

We'll miss the show's season one director, Cary Fukunaga, as he's stepping down as director in this series. Fast & Furious' Justin Lin will be taking the reigns of just the first two episodes with other directors helming the rest, reported IndieWire.

A release date for the drama hasn't been announced yet.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today