Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts & Entertainment

Rodney Bingenheimer Is Back On The Air (But Not At KROQ)

GettyImages182651373.jpg
(Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

"Rodney on the Roq," which had been on KROQ's airwaves since 1977, aired its last installment earlier this month. Fans lamented the departure of the show's host: Rodney Bingenheimer, who made a name for himself by being one of the first West Coast DJs to play acts like Blondie, the Sex Pistols, and others.

That anguish will be short-lived, however; it was announced Wednesday that Bingenheimer will get his own timeslot on SiriusXM’s Little Steven’s Underground Garage channel, reports Variety. The show will premiere at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday July, 16, and will be accessible via satellite on SiriusXM channel 21, as well as through the SiriusXM app and website.

Little Steven’s Underground Garage, in case you weren't aware, is produced by Steven Van Zandt of E Street Band fame (he was also Silvio on The Sopranos). "We are honored to have him. This is where he belongs!" Van Zandt said in a release.

Bingenheimer first made the announcement on his Facebook page on Wednesday. Speaking on Van Zandt, Bingenheimer said, "With both of us now at the same channel we're gonna keep great music alive. Especially for me, being on at an earlier time, I can have more listeners who don't have to worry about missing work or school the next day."

Bingenheimer's comments on his new schedule is, of course, a remark on his former timeslot at KROQ, which had relegated him to a Sunday graveyard shift. Speaking with LA Weekly about his old timeslot, he said he "never really liked it," adding that, "“It was always a lot of stoners calling in. And truck drivers. The loyal fans tried to stay with me no matter what, but a lot of them had to go to work or school the next day so they missed it.”

We're glad to have you back Rodney, even if your absence was a brief one.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today