This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
New Year's Resolutions - Start Your Own Business Ideas from Amy Swift of Ladies Who Launch
I didn't want to just do a "best of" list. So this year, I've decided to take a years worth of personal New Year's Resolutions, ask around for those of friends and put a call out to readers (email me here) about things you've always wanted to know, always wanted to do and then take those requests and ask an expert, an insider to help out. The result? Here goes...
"I want this to be the year I start my own business! But I don't know what kind or where to start."
I figure everyone could use a little inspiration when thinking about what kind of business to start and when thinking about being an entrepreneur. I asked Amy Swift, Editor of Ladies Who Launch, for a list of the top 10 LWL businesses started here in Los Angeles in 2007. With locations around the country, Ladies Who Launch is both an online and offline resource for women who want to start a business and are looking for a support network, business contacts, resources and of course the amazing Ladies Who Launch Incubator Program. Incubators are starting around Los Angeles now, so if you're interested what better time to start?
Here are Amy's "Best of the Best" Ladies Who Launch businesses of 2007:
- Heart Is Hot - Purchase and Share Heart-Filled Stories and Designs
- Yellow Box Beauty - Get a box of beauty supplies delivered to your door every month!
- Verde Paperie - A delightful green paper store.
- Il Primo Passo - A shoe store for shoe addicts on Montana Avenue.
- The Breakup Chronicles - Lisa Steadman, a.k.a. The Relationship Journalist™ is the creator and editor of BreakupChronicles.com. She's also the author of "It's a Breakup, Not a Breakdown."
- Encore Bridal - A site for pre-owned, sample and used wedding dresses.
- docuvitae - A team of photographers, videographers and documentarians that can capture life for you at any event.
- Little Windows - Wear and share your favorite photos.
- Me and Mine, Inc. - A new approach to t-shirts for women.
- Turquoise- A gorgeous interior design and furniture store on Abbot Kinney Blvd. in Venice. Owner Vanessa de Vargas also can be hired to design your interior.
Yesterday we got great tips on local stores to check out to help make our living space look like a professional did it, from Interior Designer to the Stars, Erinn Valencich of Omniarte Design. Check in on Friday for our next installment of New Year's Resolutions Realized - an in depth exploration of art, culture and to-do's in Pasadena!